[at-l] RE: poison ivy and a REMEDY for it and

>  Poison ivy is already horrible in New York.  I've gotten it twice this
>  spring (once in my eye, yecch!), and it's everywhere!  Be careful.
>
>  POISON IVY TREATMENT TIP--
>
>  This really works, but works best if you do it EARLY, when you first
>  start to itch.
>
>  There's a plant called Jewelweed or touch-me-not, that grows in moist
>  places--near streams, in hollows, over most of the AT's range.  If you
>  don't know what it looks like, check out a plant ID guide and learn it,
>  because it is an excellent remedy for poison ivy.  It's a juicy, stemmy
>  plant with small leaves that always feel cool; if you drop water on it,
>  the leaves never get wet, the water just beads and rolls off.  It has
>  yellow or orange dangling flowers.
>
>  All you do is crush up the stems and leaves, which are very juicy, and
>  rub the green juice on all your ivy-itchy-spots.  Like I said, the
>  earlier the better; once the poison Ivy blisters really get going, it's
>  harder to fix 'em.  If you catch them early, the jewelweed will dry them
>  up and stop the itching, better than any over-the-counter medicine.  I
>  used it on my two recent bouts of ivy and had great success.  (Although I
>  didn't put it in my eye--had to go to the eye doctor to fix that)

Check out this web site for photo of Poison Ivy and Jewel Weed.
 <A HREF="http://ncnatural.com/wildflwr/obnxious.html">Obnoxious
Plants--Poison Ivy and Nettles</A>

There are two products that a hiker may find useful.

Wildbill
This info is from the REI web site.

1.  Oak-N-Ivy Brand Armor Pre-Exposure Lotion

•Lotion provides a temporary invisible barrier against poison plant oils
•Helps prevent poison oak, ivy and sumac dermatitus•Allows skin to
breathe and perspire normally•Non-irritating and hypo-allergenic•Use in
conjunction with Oak-N-Ivy Brand Outdoor Skin Cleanser for superior
protection against poison plant oils
Price - $ 5.50

2.  Tecnu Oak-N-Ivy Cleanser

•Effective agent for removing the poisonous, oily irritant of poison
oak, ivy and sumac before and after the rash has started•Easy to use in
the field, without water•Allows natural healing process to begin
unimpeded•Can also use to decontaminate clothing, tools and pets•Use in
conjunction with Oak-N-Ivey ARMOR Pre-Exposure Lotion for superior
protection
Price - $ 5.50

More Poison Ivy Info:
 <A HREF="http://tray.dermatology.uiowa.edu/PIPs/PoisonIvy.html">PIP: Poison