[at-l] Trail Conservation

Hi Gang,

Hate to be a bore but I think the next couple of posts are going to
be trail related.  A couple of weekends ago I hiked from Snickers Gap
to Rte 340 (Harper's Ferry) and I promise a trail report one day.
Needless to say I got my butt kicked by the hills.  The trails were
great, there was actually dirt between the rocks and long streches
(20, 50, 100 feet) without any rocks.  I started to dread the rocks
because it either ment that I had approached an ascent or descent.
On the either side of the trail rocks were not as obvious.  The
reason is simple, the trail is wearing down from usuage.  I also see
evidence that hiking poles make the situation worse.  I am concerned
about the situatio, I would like the trail to be there for future
generations of hikers, but because of usuage and destruction the
trail is constantly being rerouted.  Is this the answer to the
problem?  Is there really a problem?  How does fit into the LNT
philosophy?

Grey Owl