[at-l] Re: Myth vs. Reality about Hiking Alone

>1.  More men get murdered than women (and at a rate far disproportionate to
>their part of the population)

Thats because men are typically more agressave than woman. A man isnt going
to back down from another man as fast as a women will.That generally leads
to an escalation in the situation.

>3.  Crime in wilderness areas run far lower than crime rates for populated
>areas.

I believe I stated that you are probably safer in a wilderness area.

>I hike and backpack alone--at least 7-8 times a year.  I have met odd

Good for you. Knock yourself out. I really dont care if you hike alone or
with someone. Its none of my business. We were asked for our views on it
and I gave mine. They were rational views based on 42 years of my own
experience and listening to interviews with convicted criminals. No one
said you had to listen to them. I believe someone else asked the question.
They were the one I was responding to .

>Now as for your post, Darryl, I really get the impression that you may be
>imprudently confident.  Your size is poor protection against anyone
determined
>to do you harm.  Your sex is also not going to help you.

I suggest you read interviews with convicted muggers, rapest etc. They
almost always say that they look for the most defensless looking,
vulnerable weakest victim. No size is not always protection although it is
a good deterent. Most people arent going to attack someone larger than them
unless they have the person out numbered. This is a fact.  Refer to the
above interview with muggers etc. I am anything but imprudently confident.
I am cautious but not paranoid. I try to avoid trouble at all costs. You
are right some people dont care about size. Most get them selves seriously
hurt evendially. I know this for a fact. What makes you think that big city
folks are the only ones that have run ins with crime ? I have had in the
years past been attacked once with a switch blade. I took it from the man
with only a small cut on the finger. Still have the scar. I carry the
switch blade in my caving pack. The little idiot was smaller then me. No my
size didnt help then as it wasnt a matter of who was the strongest. What
helped me was my martial arts training although I am no expert.
Then once three morons tried to mug me. Those are the only two incedences
that I remeber being attack. I think intoxication on the attackers part had
something to do with it.

>As for having an old beat up truck, it may save you on the VA car tax but it
>won't be any help when you are miles from the trailhead.  Nobody's going to
>know or care what your car looks like when you are on the trail.  As far as
>breakins are concerned,  I can verify thieves look in any car (hey, I pay
>under $100 for car tax, so I'm the expert on beat up cars)--the ones that
>don't have tempting goodies in sight are usually the ones that are the
safest.

And where did I say that people dont break in old pick up trucks ?  I
suggest you read my post agian.

HOwever now that you mention it, old beat up vehicles are less likely to
get stolen parked at a trail head.

 At the same, I
>believe that my life would be unsatisfying if I just lived it in fear of all
>the possible dangers lurking out there.

You wont get an argument from me there.

                           Daryl Cline WB4YEX
                            Harrisonburg, Va.