[at-l] Success rate?

At 09:35 PM 5/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'll make a prediction that
>the class of 98 won't be as successful in those same terms.

This statement seems to imply that the 1998 thru-hikers
who took part in the AT98 list were somehow missing info
that would make the difference in the success of their
thru-hike. First, most of the folks on the AT98 list were
also on both ATML and AT-L. I saw their post regularly.
Second, the 40% figure is not unique to AT-L. Last year
we had 17 journalists on Trailplace, and 8 made it all
the way. That's 47% (all of the others that did not make
it were AT-L members!) I think it is very presumptuous of
any of us to think that what we say about the Trail is the
deciding factor in whether people are able to make it to
Katahdin or Springer. I personally have much better faith
in the inherent intelligence of other people than to feel
that I make that much difference. More than 200 AT98 list
members have come by to tell me how much they appreciated
having their own list "to be children together" and to
get to know other Class of '98 members a little better,
but I am under no illusion that any of the Trailplace
lists (or AT-L for that matter) was a major factor in their
success from Springer to Hot Springs. No, they did that
themselves, and I salute them. What we do by sharing info
and encouragement is helpful, but let's acknowledge that
each person who makes it to the Trail to begin a thru-hike
does it by their own effort and initiative. Let's realize
that we are here to help if they ask, but that we are not indispensable to
their success. Just my opinion!--WF