Re: [at-l] NJ Trails for the disabled

In a message dated 98-05-06 14:53:02 EDT, hikenet@interactive.net writes:

<< Also last yr, we just built a $80,000 look-out area by Sunrise Mtn for the
 disabled. One can drive to  it and has table for picnicing and seeing the
 expansive view. Actually, the AT is below the highpoint and better views of
 the western NJ pasters and farmlands is from the handicapped area or the
 Sunrise Mtn pavilion. >>

Tom

That's an awesome thing, to allow handicaps, people that would surly wish they
could walk again, having the sights that for the most part are reserved for
hikers.  It's well worth remembering as most of us walk the trail.

What kills me, is to have actually hiked to some of the east coast "tallest
places" and having to share them with "car peakers" and then be asked or told
"that you walked here", take a quick view, and drive down the mountain.
Hopefully, by actually being able to walk, that will give some incentive to a
non-hiker, without diabilities, to enjoy the peace and serenity that we all
share.

Should roadway mountain tops be closed to all but the handicaped?  Probably
would never fly, but it's worth thinking about.

Certainly not a purist, but a hiker just the same.

Sly