Re: [at-l] Hiking Alone

I believe it is much safer for a man than a women. Again not to sound
sexist just realistic. I hike alone alot during the day.Well Doozer goes
with me. :-) But then I am a 6'1"  210 lb. male not a 5'6" 130 lb. female.
One thing about the bully. They almost always look for an easy mark who
they have out numbered and/or are  bigger than. Most are a bunch of cowards
who are afraid of getting hurt messing with someone thier own size anyway.
I used to go backpacking occassionally alone many years ago. Times are alot
different now. Around here way back then no one was likely to slit your
throat while you slept. Actually I dont think you'd run into much problem
in this area except maybe the SNP. When we go backpacking it is usually
myself, my son who is 6'2" 200 lbs., my brother in law 6'1" 190lbs. and
another friend who is about 6' 200 lbs. We dont exactly fit the profile of
what  that type are looking for in a victim. We have been to some pretty
rough places and always gotten along fine with the locals. But then I'm
just a country boy myself. :-). I always smile and speak to folks no matter
who they are. Thats just my nature. I also believe that goes along way in
easying some tensions you tend to find with strangers coming into the
boonies. Alot of times "outsiders" will come in to a rural area and not
speak to the locals in the local country store or litle bar. This is
precieved as snubbing them. Especially if you are driving a fancy car and
not a beatup pickup truck. :-). HEY !!!! another advantage I have ...... my
old pickup truck I drive to the trail head. :-). The large majority of
rural locals are good people. The trouble makers are few and far between
and usually have a reputation in their community. Small towns are like
that. If you sneeze the whole town knows it. One last thought in light of
my last remark. If the girl who was chased had had a cell phone she could
have called the local police and reported the three men. The local cops
would have probably had a pretty good idea who they were. Being able to
report them may have put them on ice awhile and prevented someone not as
fast up the mountain from becoming a victim.

At 12:55 PM 5/6/98 EDT, you wrote:

><< I am curious if everyone else agrees about the hiking alone.  So I
> guess I will read on :) >>
>

>I regularly take 7-10 day trips alone, both on the AT and bushwhacking in
some
>very secluded wilderness areas.  I wouldn't change it for anything.  The very
>first solo trip I took, I  must admit, was a little spooky.  But after a
>Good Hiking,
>Jim
>"Earth gives life and seeks the man who walks gently upon it"
>* From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

                           Daryl Cline WB4YEX
                            Harrisonburg, Va.
                  Web page: <http://www.cfw.com/~clines>