[at-l] Profit

Referencing Wild Bill's comment, money is an incentive for those whose
livelihood depends upon on satisfied customers.  This results in
consistent, adequate, and reasonably priced services.  I think what most
object to is price gouging, as do I.

If profit is an issue, it might be noted that L.L. Bean had an overall
price increase of 17% three or four years ago, and they reported record
sales.  Are they guilty of price gouging?  I know that they provide
excellent customer service and the sale of a piece of equipment has an
intrinsic value beyond the actual cost of the item.  But I'm nobody's fool;
I'll shop around, even at Walmart, for a less expensive and equal quality
item.

How you shop is your choice whether for goods or services.  Those in
business who prey upon hikers will not last in business very long.  Those
who are in business to provide a valuable service are entitled to recover
their costs.  Those who can afford to shuttle hikers on a "free basis" or
"cover my expenses basis" are to be commended, but they are not always
available.

Balance.

"Time-Maker" - Ern Grover
www.tick-tock.com

"We cannot all be great --- but we can attach ourselves to a great cause."
anon