Re: [at-l] Thanks at-l ers!

At 7:39 AM +0000 5/6/98, kellywin@juno.com wrote:
>Thanks to all of you who reassured me that at-l was the list for those
>who just want to chat about hiking, and not get into a flame war over it.
> I'm staying here, and leaving the purity wars to those on the other list
>who are into that.  Happy (and pure)  trails to them.

You got that right.

What some of the overzealous purist forget is

the origin of the AT came about to provide
campsites ( prearranged with cooking, picnicing, etc ) so families
could get out of the cities for fun and relaxation.  In those days 1920's
of very difficult working conditions, workers seldom got more then 2 weeks
off a year.

The trail was never planned to go to Springer and no one thru-hiked
for decades.

Amazing the "purists" forget the main original AT reason!  Family, friends and
fun.  Solo purist thru hiking from Georgia to Maine WAS not
even contemplated.

 ( As Kathy reminds us

http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/mackaye.html

 Benton McKay in 1921

 a non-purist? I wonder if he would be an outlaw now ? )

I'll just take some blue and reds and whatever color comes my way
as I like to get to those side views, waterfalls, etc.

We hike our own hike.. enjoy solitude on some hikes and family and friends
on others and have fun... and enjoy life to the fullest and not try to
make others "hike my hike" nor browbeat them when they are enjoying
themselves.

When you get into the White Mtn huts and see all those kids having a
great time with their parents, hooping it up with glea and enjoyment
and noise... that's the REAL McKay AT !!!  Enjoy..

Let me also say I think all thsoe Trailfest, etc and the efforts of Trailpalce
are also a great addition.  Just that sometimes it would be nice if the
virgin purists were a little more tolerant of the Millions of Americans
that enjoy the AT, the slackers, the dayers, and anyone out to see
nature... and play and enjoy...

tom 'hikenet' caggiano
http://members.aol.com/hikenet

and enjoy the NJ AT at http://members.aol.com/visitnj

Hope to see you on the trail, and enjoy life to the fullest...

Hike your own hike, walk your own walk, take a wheelchair on several
NJ trails. We have saved an old road through the woods for miles
for the handicapped too. We want every to enjoy so our best at
Sunrise Mtn and Higt point are designed for all the disabled to enjoy
our best views. Enjoy the sights. In NJ you are all welcomed to our
very best..

Remember send all your flames to atbeans@hotmail.com  pw=atlhot