[at-l] Women's Book Project

Sorry I haven't had time to comment on the discussion
of differences between the various AT lists that are
avalable to the public. From the discussion that I've
seen, there is a lot of misunderstanding about what
we are trying to do with Trailplace, ATML, WATL, AT98
(and the soon to be activated AT99 list for people who
will be thru-hiking in 1999). When my schedule permits,
I'll get back with a full discussion.

In the meantime, Maine Rose, who is coordinating editor
of the WATL women's book project, has been here this
week, and the two of us have been very busy preparing
the final questionnaire for gathering information to be
included in the advice book the Center for Appalachian
Trail Studies is publishing for women who are interested
in long-distance AT hiking. More than 200 women have
already participated in this book project, and we are
inviting hundreds more to get involved.

Tomorrow we mail out more than 500 questionnaires to
women long-distance hikers. The information that is
returned will be combined with the information women
on the WATL women-only list have contributed over the
past twelve months, and the WATL "book ladies" hope to
have the book available sometime this fall. It will be
a simple book of hiking advice, the comments and views
of hundreds of women thru-hikers and long-distance
section hikers who want to help future women hikers
have an enjoyable experience on the Appalachian Trail.

Any woman long-distance hiker who would like to receive
the questionnaire and participate in this project should
send your name and mailing address (regular, not email)
to: magic@trailplace.com asap. Rosie will send you a
copy of the book-project questionnaire/survey, and you
can become a part of this innovative cyber-project by
returning the survey and responding to the questions to
be addressed in the book to her c/o the Center.

Wingfoot
Hot Springs, NC