Re: [at-l] Is Roan Mtn. Safe?

the fact that this happened is quite distressing, but i gotta say...

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!  way to go, not a better way to make them feel stupid and
inadequate!  i know you weren't necessarily thinking that, probably just
thinking about personal survival, but i can just imagine him rounding that
first bald, seeing you off in the distance, and suddenly being filled with
doubt about his lame-ass machismo.

i sure as hell hope this doesn't happen again...

>>>  In 1996, I was chased up Round Bald (right after Roan Mtn, going North)
by 3 local men who clearly did not just want to take a hike with me.
They were loitering at the road crossing, and  I heard them discussing
the fact that I was a small woman with a big pack, and it ought to be no
problem to catch me.  Needless to say, I didn't wait around.  I
ran--straight uphill, pack and all.  Two of them made it about halfway up
the bald before running out of breath and quitting.  The third kept after
me.  I reached the summit of  the bald, and ran down the other side, and
up the next bald in time to see him just getting to the top of the first
bald.  His whole body sagged with disbelief as he saw how far ahead I
was, and he stopped chasing.  I kept on going.   <<<

mike
ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCTsoon
mikeh@royalrobbins.com