[at-l] Re: ATML Sorting it out!

> . A
>  single tour hike causes no problems. What will be the effect
>  of dozens of such groups (we currently have two on the AT
>  now that I am aware of)? Same can be said for dogs on the
>  Trail. One or two dogs here and there, okay. But what about
>  an evening in a shelter with ten people and ten dogs?

What about, people on the Trail, regardless of their method (i.e. weekend
hiking, section hiking, thru hiking, "slackpacking") are there for the same
reasons the rest of us are.  If they aren't there because of that (all those
reasons that make "that") then they won't come back.  I have found hikers, in
general, to be the most kind, caring, considerate people I have ever met.  Few
of them force their dogs on other people, they camp away from shelters to do
so if necessary.  Few of them, if any, force their cell phone conversations on
others in a shelter.  If they have a cell phone, you can be sure there is a
reason.  Family.  If they have a dog, it is because they are uncomfortable
without one.  This issue is only an issue in the minds of the people who have
nothing else to do but write about it, because they aren't on the Trail (I am
one :(  )  If you took a poll, the people on the TRAIL, especially the people
thru hiking, will tell you, most likely, that a) a cell phone was something
they'd pay bucks to use to say hi to someone they haven't seen in months and
no, they weren't deprived of their experience on the Trail just because
someone had one and b) a dog is usually friendly and fine, they haven't
encounted many on the Trail, and besides, anyone with a dog for a companion is
usually just plain "good" people, who will probably offer you a free lunch and
some M & M's.  Why are we talking about this?  A whole new meaning to making
"mountains out of molehills."

The Redhead