[at-l] Fwd: ATML Re: Slackpack Tours (In Support Of)

In a message dated 98-05-04 12:12:32 EDT, DaRedhead@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 98-05-04 09:35:02 EDT, skyline@shentel.net writes:
>
>  >  And I know for
>  >  a fact that his presence has helped many people on the Trail in '97 and
'
> 98
>  >  who were not officially a part of his Tour, including some who would
>  >  describe their own hikes as "traditional."   Most of these folks
received
>  >  assistance from Pittsburgh for little or no charge; there was certainly
> no attempt to gouge anyone.

 I am one of those people.  After hearing that I was divorcing (thereby losing
 my hiking partner) and wanted to keep hiking, but was afraid to go solo,
 Pittsburgh extended an offer to me to join his group (FREE OF CHARGE) when
 they got to my area.  He re-extended that offer at Trail Days.  Now, I
planned on carrying a pack.  He didn't ask and didn't care.  His concern was
that I
 wanted to hike, but not on my own.  His concern was to extend an offer to a
 fellow hiker the opportunity to continue hiking.  He didn't ask for money,
and emphasized free of charge.  In my book, regardless of whether you like the
 idea of slackpacking or not, making a profit or not, whatever . . . I HAVE
 seen Pittsburghs van :) and you can agree or not agree - but don't put down
 Pittsburgh and his efforts.  No amount of money, and surely not the small
 amount HE makes, can pay for the kindness of heart, goodness of spirit, and
 love of hiking that are all of a part of him.

>  The Redhead

-- BEGIN included message

ATML--A place to discuss AT issues with friends in friendship!

In a message dated 98-05-04 09:35:02 EDT, skyline@shentel.net writes:

>  And I know for
>  a fact that his presence has helped many people on the Trail in '97 and '98
>  who were not officially a part of his Tour, including some who would
>  describe their own hikes as "traditional."   Most of these folks received
>  assistance from Pittsburgh for little or no charge; there was certainly no
>  attempt to gouge anyone.

I am one of those people.  After hearing that I was divorcing (thereby losing
my hiking partner) and wanted to keep hiking, but was afraid to go solo,
Pittsburgh extended an offer to me to join his group (FREE OF CHARGE) when
they got to my area.  He re-extended that offer at Trail Days.  Now, I planned
on carrying a pack.  He didn't ask and didn't care.  His concern was that I
wanted to hike, but not on my own.  His concern was to extend an offer to a
fellow hiker the opportunity to continue hiking.  He didn't ask for money, and
emphasized free of charge.  In my book, regardless of whether you like the
idea of slackpacking or not, making a profit or not, whatever . . . I HAVE
seen Pittsburghs van :) and you can agree or not agree - but don't put down
Pittsburgh and his efforts.  No amount of money, and surely not the small
amount HE makes, can pay for the kindness of heart, goodness of spirit, and
love of hiking that are all of a part of him.

The Redhead

Contact ATML list administrator at admin@trailplace.com
To withdraw from list, see http://trailplace.com/lists.htm
To meet some of the other ATML list members, see
http://trailplace.com/cgi-bin/htmlscript?bbs_atml.hts

-- END included message