Re: [at-l] more dehydrating

At 07:59 PM 5/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>How do you plan on dehydrating chili -- that sounds great.  As far as cheese
>goes, what info did you get about cheeses that last a while.

My dehydrator has a solid tray type thing for dehdrating semi solids. I.e.
soap chili, or puree'd fruits for homemade fruit rollups.

>One last thing.  if you are going to go through the whole trouble (and well
>worth it) of taking along fresh vegetables for that first nights dinner, why
>not take some steak as well.  seriously.  Get some fresh steak, cube it and
>freeze it.  Youcan then take teh cubed meat, put it in a baggie with some
>vegetables in a marianade and let it sit.  the steak will thaw over the
>course of teh day and by the time night comes you have a stew all ready to
cook.

A few mushrooms slices of onion and green pepper is a lot lighter than meat.

Now I not saying I have ever done this ..... To pack this backpacking would
be ludicrous but if you were to take stew meat, some sliced carrotts,
onions, diced potatoes, put it in some aluminum foil with some salt, pepper
and worchestershire sauce and freeze it, then carry it in a pack all day
hiking, by that evening its all thawed ...... Uh .. err I mean it should be
all thawed out and it cooks .........uuhhh .... it should cook in the hot
coals of a camp fire in about .5 to .75 hrs.  It should be ..... OK OK I
admit it. I've done it and it IS good eating.  :-).  See why I dont worry
about drilling holes in a flashlight that already doesnt weigh anything . :-)

Breakfast and supper are the only meal I eat backpacking. I munch on
homemade beef jerky and gorp while on the trail during the day. I am
hypoglacemic (sp?) meaning my blood sugar level plummets when I get hungry
but for some reason hiking I dont seem to have the problem very bad. Not
sure why that is. The excertion must alter my metabolism. HUH !! I'll have
to ask my doctor about that.  So I eat light during the day and fix a good
meal at night after setting up camp.

                           Daryl Cline WB4YEX
                            Harrisonburg, Va.
                  Web page: <http://www.cfw.com/~clines>