Re: [at-l] Lightweight flashlight?

At 04:47 PM 4/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
> I've taken a Mini-Maglite, the type that uses 2 AA batteries, and I've
>lightened it down to 2.8 ounces, batteries included.  This is substantially
>lighter than it was in its original form.

My AA Maglite weighs just under 3 ounces with no holes drilled in it! I use
Energizer AA Lithium photo batteries in it as well as my Petzl micro head
light. Try these in yours and you will need to keep it tied down to avoid it
blowing away in the wind :^).

 These batteries weigh less than 1 ounce for 2 of them which makes them
really attractive to carry as spares. They last 3 times as long as alkaline
in cameras, weigh less than half as much and cost about $5.00 for two. The
best price I have found is at K-mart. They also have a 7 to 10 year shelf
life which makes them good for a flashlight stored somewhere for emergency
use. The Lithium batteries also have higher voltage output in extreme cold
(They rate them as usable between -40 to 160F) where alkaline drops off
badly below freezing.

They are a little hard to find. Probably camera stores would be a reliable
source, but more expensive. To help spot them in a 100 square foot display
of batteries, they are gold with red tops.