[at-l] re: Preventing blisters

phil wrote:

>>>Anyhow... I sit down all day at work answering techie computer
questions, and excrise 2-3 times a week. But that does nothing for getting
my feet ready for a long weekend or this summer's 10 day trek. Does anyone
have practical ways to get your feet into shape for trekking? (preventing
blisters and such is the key)
    I can't wear my boots to work... so I am looking at stuff like Second
Skin or New Skin to stave off them nasty hot spots...   <<<

just like training for hiking, there's nothing like the actual thing to get
you in shape.  i CAN wear my boots at work, and so i wear the heaviest pair
i own, fabiano mtn masters at 5.5lbs a pair.  big leather jobs that harden
my feet nicely.  i try to wear them constantly for a week or more before
the hike.  if you can't wear 'em at work, wear 'em at all other times.  if
you have lightweight boots, run or jog in them, that works real well.  you
can do that in heavier boots, too, but your knees take a pounding.

another thing i do is use rubbing alcohol on my feet morning and night.
this toughens the skin pretty well, and i'll do it, again, for about a
week.  i carry a small container with me, and give my feet a "bath" at the
end of every day on the trail - wonderful cooling feeling, and it keeps
them clean and tough.  (thanks colin fletcher for that one).

mike
ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCTsoon
mikeh@royalrobbins.com