Re: [at-l] Re: dogs and snakes

> >Anyone have advice about dogs hiking and snakes ?? Thanks.

When wolves are raised by wolf mothers, they teach the pups about
snakes.Unfortunately, most people don't have the knack to do the same.
My dogs are snake stupid.  I've only seen poisonous snakes on the trail
three times in the last three years.  Unfortunately, my dogs didn't notice
them.  The first two times I saw them in time to halt the dogs and move them
around the snake cautiously.  The third time, just about a year ago, I was
hiking with a fellow lister on the PA MST.  I had just answered her question
about snakes, explaining that it was a bit too cold for them yet, but that where
we were walking would be one of the first spots to see one.  It was a cinder
covered rail to trail section at the foot of a soulthern facing rock covered slope.
A real oven.  Three minutes later, my dogs walked over a small copperhead.
Lucky for all the snake wasn't fully alert.  My dogs have no snake sense.

Every year, at least one dog gets biten on the MST.  Always copperheads.
Give me a rattler anyday...at least sometimes they warn you.
The best advice is to have your dog trained to hike behind you.  I haven't
done this.  So I limit my dogs to hiking in the cool and cold months. Or I
con someone into walking point for us.  Wish I could be more helpful.
PS...the dog hike list is great.             Kahley