Re: [at-l] Alternate uses for gear

Kahley....

Wow, that sucks about your foot.  Maybe if you showered under an
umbrella or a poncho, that would keep your cast dry ;-)

>Well gang, with my Jones fracture and half my leg wrapped
>up in what feels like, about thirty pounds of fiberglass, I
>wait for four weeks.
>
>The doctor gave the standard speech ....
>"DO NOT GET THE CAST WET  which means
>NO SHOWERS! Believe me, I understand how
>difficult this will be."
>
>But he doesn't know I'm a hiker and hikers can go for
>days without a shower.  But a month????
>
>The wheels started turning in my head and it must have
>shown on my face because he answered my un-asked
>question.
>"No....you can't wrap it up and keep it dry.  Everyone
>thinks they can and it never works.  The liner gets
>wet and the next thing is skin ulceration."

BTW, If you exercise and sweat... the liner gets wet also.
Sort of like, if you hike you will get blisters. It's a matter
of degree.  They actually make plastic bags for covering casts, not that
this particular doctor sounds like he would recommend it!  Was
that the doctor or was it a cast tech??

Again really sorry to hear about your injury.

Sharon

Sharon Sharpe
Head Athletic Trainer
Wellesley College