Re: [at-l] Trip Report

At 10:04 PM 4/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Okay, so I wasn't on the AT.  If a non-AT hike narrative is
>inappropriate,
>someone let me know privately.
>
>I got to go out Thursday afternoon through Saturday, sans C-word,
>the Otter Creek wilderness near Elkins, WV.  Went with a couple
>of
>church buddies, as mentioned last week. We actually didn't get to
>
>the trailhead until around 4 PM.

What trail did you hike there. I was there back in Sept. Hiked the Otter
Creek Trail from end to end by the river.

>nice view, the rain came.  And stayed.  Enthusiastically.

We didnt get rain until 5:00 in the morning the second day.

>Eventually, my

>(Sorry,
>Charlie -- I tried to indoctrinate them with LNT, but didn't get
>very far.)

Due to the rain not coming until 5:00 in the morning we were able to build
a nice camp fire that night. The "Trace" was already there in the form of a
nicely construct fire ring which we happily utilized. The pouring down rain
saved us the hassles of hauling water to put the fire out. Did make for a
nasty second day of hiking though. About the time we got to the car at the
other end the rain stopped, the clouds left and the sun came out. Oh well.
Thats the way it goes sometimes. :-)

>(2) in the waning light, I over-primed my whisperlite by about
>2-to-1.

Thats easy to do in sun lite. :-)

Take care !! and happy hiking.

                           Daryl Cline WB4YEX