[at-l] 7Seven Day hike on AT

Well, our Outing Club hike in Vermont became a 60 mile hike in MA because AT
is very difficult to travel from Stratton Mountain North.  This Information
from GMC about a week ago.  January Ice Storm has made parts of trail over
2000 feet inpassable.  Until volunteer crews can get out in April it will be
very tough to hike in Vermont on AT or Long Trail.

We started at Jug End on Saturday April 18th.  Hiked ten miles.  One girls
with brand new mountaineering Boots got blisters in first ten minutes but
continued to hike all day.  Another Rachel, with cheap boots got blisters
first day also.
	  When we reached Goose Pond on Tuesday, Rachel was ready to leave the trail.
I checked her feet.  They each had several blisters and talked to her about
pack size.  We had this discussion before but she refused to lighten her pack.
Her mother helped her pack.  She had 7 changes of undrwear and 7 sets of
Pajamas.  I could not believe it.  She now knows what I mean by packing light
and why.  Hope she trys to hike with me again.  She is a cute kid.  Last time
she back[packed with me she brought a TV,  CD player, and Walkman.  She left
the toys at home this time but brought too much clothing.  Her mother said
"but she only brought to sweat shirts and on pair of sweat pants".  I gues mom
expected that a new pair of sweats each day was approp. for home so her pack
was light.  - I don't own 7 PJ's or 7 Sweats.  Anyway Rachel went home to her
two hot tubs and all of her toys while we hike until Friday.
	Thursday after spending night in Kay Wood Shelter, we met Kay Wood on the
Trail.  She hiked the AT in 88 at the young age of 77 years.  This is 98 folks
and she is still doing trail work.  She was in the company of another senior
about her age.  They are incredible.  Hope I am still hiking at 87 years
young.
	Saw bear scat near Crystal Mountain Tentsite.  And lots of Moose droppings.
Ended hike in Cheshire Ma about noon on Friday.  Headed straight for nearest
Pizza Hut for all you can Eat lunch buffet.
	Kate, the girl with the new boots, finished her hike in Tevas.  She Ended up
leading the group for the last three days.  She is a great hiker, into Ultra
Light packing.  Just the opposite of Rachel.  Next hike I will have Kate
Tuckerize Rachel's pack.  Then Rachel will last for 7 days.
	Was a great hike.  I wish I were still on the trail.  Can hardly wait for my
turn at a thru hike.  2002  or 2003.  Seems so far away.

							Art