Re: [at-l] food pack weight

sounds kinda dry

I'm sure it depends upon what you're packing, of course.  I stay away from
perishables & dairy, and concentrate on high carbo type foods.  Dried meats
are an option of course.  You've likely noticed that fat does not
appreciably dehydrate, and you'll run the risk of items becoming rancid.

If meat is a must for you, then consider the leanest cuts possible or
purchase commercially available dehydrated meats (if you trust the
ingredients).  I never dehydrate ground meat products, instead I find the
leanest roast (turkey, beef, lamb).  Watch them cut off all the visible fat
and then grind it up.  Before dehydrating, I cook the meat thoroughly with
desired seasonings.  Blot the fat, and then dehydrate.  This method might
not appeal to the culinary staff at Waldorf Astoria, but it will save you
the grief of spoiled meat on your hike.

Stir fry veggies that are packaged frozen (without the sauce mix) are a
great source of veggies for the dehydrator, unless you do it from your own
garden.  A typical one pound bag of veggies will dehydrate down to an ounce
or so.

Pouch meals from Lipton (rice has more vitamins) will offer a variety of
entrees.

I repackage the Lipton meal, half a handful of veggies, and slightly less
than that of the dehydrated meat in a quart sized zipper lock bag.  I've
learned not to trust the traditional ziplock bags.  3 cups of water is just
about perfect to rehydrate the job.  I half of the water in right after
breakfast, and I keep the pouch meal on an exterior pouch on my backpack, in
fact, inside another zipper lock bag, just in case of rupture.  While you're
hiking, the water will slosh around and rehydrate the meat and veggies.  It
will be a stiff paste by the time you reach your evening camping spot.

Add the remainder of the water to the pouch, and pour it into your cookpot.
Alternately, you can cook the meal in the bag itself in boiling water.
Because of the morning preparation, your cooking time will be greatly
reduced.  The veggies will still have a nice crunch.

Bon appetite.

Note:  practice at home first.

Ern Grover "Time-Maker"
http://www.tick-tock.com

"When you forgive a wrong, you'll surely confuse the person who did it."
Anon.