Re: [at-l] Extend the AT's length so it is really America's longest footpath?

In a message dated 4/24/98 9:32:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hikenet@interactive.net writes:

<< Why not let Florida share in the wealth? >>

As a Floridian, I would love to see the Florida Trail connected to the
Appalachian Trail, but it would not be fair to either of their hardworking
trail organizations for them to share a common identity.  There are no
mountains here, so to have the Appalachian Trail run through Florida is
ludicrous, and to come up with a new name, such as the Eastern Scenic Trail
for the combined entity would be ignoring the rich heritage of the Appalachian
Trail.  As far as I'm concerned, the Springer to Katahdin termini for the AT
should not be tinkered with.  I do however support having other trails linking
up to the AT so that a walk from Everglades City to Cape Gaspe becomes a
reality.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear
Orlando to Cape Gaspe '03