[at-l] Tyvek and Space Blankets

"Tyvek":  If you'd like to play around with Tyvek, just save an office
envelope that is made with the stuff.  Try breathing through it to convince
yourself that it will breathe.  If the seams of the envelope are sealed,
try filling the envelope with water.  Poke it, pull it, see what you can do
to make it leak.

As a ground cloth, it is not what you would call a positive vapor barrier,
but the stuff has some redeeming insulating qualities against the cold.  So
far as protecting the floor of your tent is concerned, it would offer some
great protection.

"Space Blankets":  I should note that I stitched together two "Space
Blankets", the lightweight red nylon reinforced material that has a reverse
side in reflective silvery material.  I stitched them up on three sides and
included a drawstring end.  It serves as a positive vapor barrier for my
mattress and sleeping bag at night, protection for the floor of my tent,
and for those extra cold New England nights, I can slide my mattress and
sleeping back inside the whole affair.  The finished bag reflects back
roughly 90% (based on the manufacturer's claim) of body heat (and vapor)
and makes for a toasty-warm night.  The drawstring is optional for night
time use, but its intent was to be used as an emergency warm-up bag for
hypothermia.  Space blankets are extremely lightweight, and even the two of
them stitched together as I have done, still weigh considerably less than a
plastic tarp of decent mil thickness.

Ern Grover "Time-Maker"
http://www.tick-tock.com

"In matters of conscience, the law of majority has not place." - Mohandas
Gandhi