[at-l] Coupla things

Thing the First:
I am escaping this afternoon, headed for Otter Creek
for 3 days and two nights.  (I'm going with two church
buddies, one of whom is a pastor, and he needs to be back
on Sunday to preach; thus, the Thu-Sat weekend.)

This time, at least, I will not be taking a c-word with me.
In an effort to offend at least a few on this list, I will
however
take *two* mini-mag lights and a candle lantern. I hope I
remember to bring a book. :-)

Menu includes Ramen for one supper (if I am in a hurry
or lazy), and cous cous, Turkey gravy, potatoes, and an
Apple Brown Betty for another; Oatmeal for a lazy/rushed
breakfast and "Denver Omelette" for a more eventful one.

I'm looking forward to cool-to-cold nights and cool days
this weekend, finally letting me try out the clothing Santa
got me 4 months ago.

This morning I was trying to figure out why, after getting
a  lighter tent and sleeping bag (7 pound total reduction),
I seem to have _less_ room in my state-of-the-art American
Camper pack than before.  Okay, I lied -- the pack is
something that Charlie Thorpe might recommend I
stir (with paper) after watering and then cover over, but
still, there seems to be little room for food or clothing.

Eventually I figured it out:  now that I have upgraded to
a nice, stuffable Wild Bill sleeping bag, it has migrated to
the inside of the pack.  Mystery solved, and I am inspired
to tuckerize, or find a way to fasten that slippery little
stuff sack to the underside, or just get a  bigger E-frame.

Thing the Second:
Last weekend, in Richmond VA, I bought my first AT book:
_The Best of the AT: Overnight Hikes_ by Victoria and
Frank Logue.  I'm very encouraged -- I expect to get some
weekend AT time in this summer, a full year before I had
ever expected to touch the AT's hallowed -- sorry, I meant
"sacred" -- Rats! -- make it *cherished* surface.

     -Tom Williams