Re: [at-l] Closed List & Spam

Good morning AT-Lers,

Just had a nice, big bowl of grits and thought I'd add a tad more
information to Ryan's post regarding closing the list to stop unsolicited
mail (SPAM).

Technically, closing the list means when someone posts a message to the
list the email address of the sender is checked against the list to verify
that the sender is a member. I'm not sure exactly how many of the members
will be affected by this change. Most of you will see no change at all,
except the complete absence of SPAM.

How do you know if it will affect you? If your email From: address is
different than the one you used to subscribe then there will be a problem.
However, the majority of the listers rarely, if ever, post messages and
won't see any change.

Closing the list is the only 98% sure way to eliminate the problem. Trying
to inspect each email and determine whether or not it's SPAM isn't
effective because the spammers routinely forge and change the headers and
identification information in the message. What happens is you'll get a
lot of one-time messages that have to be manually inspected and the id's
added to a list for the mail system to reject. This is a very time
consuming task.

Rest easy, this won't be as bad as you might think. I know we have a lot
of members that are on WF's ATML list and it was closed a while back for
the same reason. If that created a posting problem for you please let me
know via email direct.

I would be more than happy to check your current email address to the one
we currently have and work with you if there is a problem. Just let me
know directly to milt@iqsc.com.

Now, let's get back to hiking...

Milt