[at-l] What's worse?

What's worse?  10,000 new cell phone towers (some posing as lodgepole pines)
blocking our collective view of nature here in the lithosphere - or - a few
hundred extra satellites (sometimes glowing brightly and posing as meteors)
blocking our collective view of *the rest of the universe*... again, all so
we can make a phone call from McAfee Knob.  Neither option looks too pretty
to me.  Luckily, there is a third.  And it begins at home, or maybe on the
Trail.  It involves a little foresight into the probable future of a world
passively agreeable to the notion that technology need march endlessly on,
making our lives "ever easier."  Will it?  Is it, psychologically, making
our lives any easier?
What will we say when we phone home from the backcountry in 20 years?  Will
we be able to tell the folks we're having a pristine experience?  Or will
the conversation turn to the reality than humanity can no longer escape from
itself anymore, anywhere?
Act on principles.  If you don't like the look of a future world catering to
cell phones (ie), don't support it.  Don't use a cell phone, period.
Think globally, act locally.  The only way to change the world is to change
oneself... and hope your actions inspire.  (off soapbox)
- Blister>Free, GAME '96