Re: [at-l] how do you treat your water?

I have to add another comment regarding filters.

I have used my First Need filter for many, many gallons of water of the past 6
or 7 years and I have never had a problem. I have ended up having the only
working filter on a number of trips, when Pur filters of various models have
stopped pumping, blown gaskets, started spilling bad water into the good, etc.

Each trip I ended up pumping water for all my friends (up to 15 on one canoe
trip) with my lowley little First Need.

The only maintenance I have ever done is the occasional back-flush to make
pumping easier. I'm going to upgrade to the Deluxe model this year, but only
because I feel it's time.  The unit works great and I'm donating it to the
local Scout troop (my own troop actually). I'm still on the original filter -
though I use a prefilter and I'm on my third one of those.  I've added the
Nalgene jar adapter, the filter to pump attacher, and a weight on the hose.
These are standard now on the Deluxe model. I bought a replacement filter
thinking that hard pumping would mean it's time to replace, but it's still in
the original bag, unused, as backflushing the filter seems to restore it's
ease of pumping to just about original condition.

I don't hear many good things about this filter, but from personal experience
- I wouldn't carry any of the Pur models. I'm thru-hiking next year and plan
to carry the First Need.

Your mileage may vary.

Paddler (GA>ME 99 .... 313 days and counting)