[at-l] Vortex Packs

These are tough times on the mail lists for die hard gear heads...

I didn't intend to put myself into the new pack market, but I stripped down
my 6 or 8 year old EMS external frame pack last weekend, and found several
places on the suspension where webbing was significantly worn, or where
stitching looked suspect.  Enough so that I wouldn't really trust it,
without having it totally rebuilt.  Which I could have done, but it is a bit
out-dated, and it weighs over 6 lbs, and I've been trying go lighter... (or
are these just rationalizations?)...

After doing my market scan, I came up with the following "must have"
features:

    1) Frame: Internal
    2) Volume: 4000 + ci
    3) Weight: < 5 lbs
    4) Max Load:  40 - 45 lbs.

The pack at the top of my list at the moment is the Vortex STX.  Its volume
is 4200-4600 ci, weighs 4 lbs 7 oz, and has a lot of nice-to-have features
often left off packs in this weight range.

Anyone have any experience with the STX, or other Vortex packs?  I would
appreciate any insights you'd care to share.

Thanks
	Peter