Re: Wilderness 1st aid. was: Re: [at-l] cell phones

Hi,
These are two first aid books I have use, MEDICINE FOR MOUNTAINEERING and
WILDERNESS MEDICINE , information on both books are below. Their are a lot of
other books on First Aid in the wilderness. Go to the Adventurous Traveler
Bookstore Web Site to see information on the other books.

Adventurous Traveler Bookstore
(Seach on Wilderness First Aid)

Medicine for Mountaineering

by: Wilkerson, 416 pages; Illus.
Order Number: #G2865

Any trip into remote territory calls for earnest planning and foresight,
including preparing for the possibility of illness or injury. A basic
knowledge of first aid can help; but how would you treat an appendicitis
attack high on a foreign mountain? What if one of your companions had a
stroke, or contracted hepatitis on a boat in mid-ocean? Medicine for
Mountaineering & Other Wilderness Activities, 4th Edition picks up where
first aid manuals leave off. Written by a team of climber-physicians,
this fully updated edition of a classic provides expert information as
well as procedures on major and minor medical emergencies. Areas covered
include:
- Diagnosis, psychology of accidents, preventive measures
- Traumatic and non traumatic injuries and disorders
- Environmental injuries-heat, cold, altitude
- Diseases, pain, infections, allergies
- Medications, medical kits, legal considerations
Authoritative and comprehensive, Medicine for Mountaineering & Other
Wilderness Activities, 4th Edition should be on the equipment list of
any hiker, climber, boater, and outdoor user who ventures more than 24
hours beyond medical attention.

Reviews: "Tried and true, the ultimate in take-care-of-yourself
instruction-a 'doctor in

Price: $18.95
Order Number: #G2865
Publisher: Mountaineers
Edition: 1992, 4th ed.
____________________________________________________________________Wilderness
Medicine

by: Forgey, 256 pages; Illus.
Order Number: #G2755

Rapidly determine the best course of action in a medical emergency or
first-aid situation by referencing six easy-to-use divisions in
Wilderness Medicine, 4th Edition. Progress from urgent-care evaluation
and management principles to soft tissue trauma and orthopedic injuries.
Furthermore, advance on to the extended treatment of common illnesses by
referring to the appropriate sections of the body, arranged by body
region Treat the environmental injuries incurred from nature such as
allergies, stings, bites and aquatic hazards. Understand, avoid, and
provide care for occurrences of infectious disease resulting from
foreign travel or contamination.
Properly diagnose and treat injuries using the extensive Clinical
Reference index unique to this book, which cross-lists illness and
trauma in multiple ways. Construct a useful modular medical kit that
will make it feasible to adjust the total kit to conform to levels of
risk and weight/bulk/cost constraints. Discover related topics and
diagnosis schemes using the unique crosss-linked diagnosis tables.
Utilize currently accepted, first-aid protocols when minor cuts or burns
occur; and go beyond the basics of first aid to apply extended-care
principles for injuries that occur on major expeditions where a doctor
is not within proximity to the occurrence or whenever time is critical.
Unique to the FOURTH EDITION:
1. Expanded sections on orthopedics and infectious disease, with
additional case-management protocols for gynecology, dental, and
soft-tissue injury
2. Modifications in medications to reflect current research and evolving
infectious disease patterns
3. New illustrations round out this extensively expanded edition of the
most concise, yet thorough book on wilderness medicine.

Reviews:

Price: $14.99
Order Number: #G2755
Publisher: Ics Books