[at-l] re: sleeping pads

raven -

you'll love this quote from Ray Jardine:

"it's not uncomfortable, just unfamiliar."

i laughed hard when i first read that, but there is a grain of truth to it.
 i started my thru with a full length ultralight thermarest.  in damascus,
in a fit of tuckerization, i switched to a 3/4 ridgerest.  the first few
night were, indeed, "unfamiliar" but i stuck with it because it saved over
1/2 pound.  then, to my surprise, i got used to it.  it takes something
like a thruhike, or many consecutive days on the trail, to get used to
something new or different.  in fact, even now when using my thermarest, it
still takes a few nights on the trail to get a really good night's sleep.

you might try a thermarest on top of a wally-mart closed cell foam pad...

mike
ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCTsoon
mikeh@royalrobbins.com