Re: [at-l] cell phones

You know, I don't want to keep this issue going any longer than necessary, but
I just can't keep my mouth shut over this one.

In a message dated 4/15/98, 11:23:32 AM, mfuller@somtel.com writes:

<<While there will be some incidents where a cell phone can make the
differenence <snip>

In the particular instance Ern was speaking of, the cel phone DID make a
difference, as stated by the doctor that Karl would have DIED had the delay
been as long as it would have taken for Ern to hike out and get help to come
back.  It seems to me that "some incidents" means occassionally a life will be
saved that otherwise wouldn't have without the cel phone.  IMHO, just one
incident where a life is saved justifies the existence of a cel phone on the
Trail, *if* one chooses to carry one.  As someone else pointed out, they DO
come with on/off switches.  No one complains about carrying rain gear in case
it rains - so why not a small, compact cel phone in CASE of emergency?  I'm
not saying that it is for everyone.  I don't own one, and I wouldn't go out
and buy one solely for Trail use.  But if I did own one, I would take it with
me, especially if I were taking my kids.  I have the right to take risks with
my own life, but an obligation to take every precaution available to me when
it comes to them.

<<  it's best to work on these before investing in a cell phone for emergency
use.>>
 <<  They definitely won't tell you anything useful if there's even the most
remote <<possibility that you, a presumed idiot, could make matters worse for
trying it.

I agree that everyone, especially hikers, should learn all they can to help
prepare them to deal with emergencies.  I have no problem with that.  But it
seems to me that the majority of medical professionals you are speaking about
would do everything in their power to help, even if that was limited to
advice.  Even in this "litigation happy" society as you put it.

I am not saying it is right or wrong to carry a phone.  I am saying that
someone reading your post may decide, based on your statistics and your own
opinion of medical or emergency personnel and their fear of lawsuits, not to
carry a cel phone when one is already available to them.  It would be sad if
they turned out to be one of those "incidents" where a cel phone would have
helped.

I know this is long - but when I joined this list, I was impressed by the
"hike your own hike" motto.  It seems that lately some people are more
interested in proving that their opinion is the only right one than supporting
others in their choices.

The Redhead (awaiting the flames I know are coming)