[at-l] 4/11/97 journal

4/11/97
It's 8:15 p.m. and there's still enough light to read by. I'm
listening to the fat 12/31/78 Winterland Dead show i have with me.
It's at the beginning of Side A, Set 1. Ahhh! Jerry rocks. It's
supposed to rain tonight, at least that's the word on the trail-vine.
It's supposed to keep raining tomorrow. Well, I've been hooked with
the kind weather since the start, so i guess it's time to get wet.
     "Sometimes you can get shown the light, in the strangest of
places if you look at it right". Jerry speaks the truth. Scarlet
Begonias also contains a line which is very applicable to the Trail.
"Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand". That
attitude is more pervasive on the Trail than at almost any other place
i can think of. Fellowship and kindness are beautiful things - they
should be practiced daily.
     Today i hiked from the Walasi-Yi center to Low Gap shelter. It
was 10.6 miles. My knee hurt for a while on the downhills, but i'm not
worried. It is amazing to feel my body change so rapidly. My appetite
is increasing and i am getting in zones on uphills. I feel really
good. The last part of the hike was through a beautiful old hardwood
forest. The trees were twisted and tall and old and proud and shaped
by many years of wind and snow and rain. They were jaw-dropping, and
many of the twisted limbs looked like bodies with arms outstretched to
the heavens in supplication to the mighty powers of nature. I got what
i think will be some good shots. I really wish i had some black and
white there - it would have been awesome. The stretch was through
Sheep Rock Top. One of my favorite stretches yet. I'm staying at Low
Gap Shelter. Met some new thru-hikers. Little Soul and Peace Train
from Philly, Boulder Problem from Baton Rouge, and Brad from Alabama.
In addition, me, Meri-Jo, Golden Thumb, Jedi, Beach Bum, Will, and the
Tortoise and the Hare are here. I'm tented. With ALL my stuff in the
tent. Very comfy. Rest will come easy tonight. I just hope i dream of
Scarlet Begonias instead of Fire on the Mountain. Peace.

-Rambleon-
rambleon@email.unc.edu