Re: [at-l] kelly knob

Michael Henderson <mikeh@royalrobbins.com> wrote:

>ok, i'm reading a lot of journals, and most every one mentions the hell
>climb over kelly knob between tray mtn and dicks creek gap.  for the life
>of me, i cannot recall much of anything between there, much less a hell
>climb.  please, can someone tell me if the trail has been re-routed since
>92, or was it such a terrible experience that i have permanently blocked it
>from memory?

I just hiked over Kelly Knob (GA), Southbound, last week and it makes a big
impression if you have just climbed over 1,350 feet from Dick's Creek Gap,
drop down 350 feet, and are then faced with Kelly Knob which is a sharp
point of about 700 feet up and 800 feet down to Addis Gap. This was at the
end of the day as well. Northbound, it would be a final obstacle between you
and Deep gap shelter.