[at-l] SBM

ALL RIGHT!!!

  Finally got a chance to do som hiking today, what a great day. I figured I'd
share it with y'all...

   Got to Sufffern, NY at about 9:30 am. Walked the 1/10 of a mile to the
trail head and noticed a huge amount of water on the road I was following.
"Where the hell is this coming from?" I asked.
    The trail. Spring runoff and the hard rains we've had here the past few
days turned the beginning of the SBM into a nice waterfall. I tried the best I
could to stay out of the water, succeding for the most part.
    The SBM climbs hard fast. The trailhead is at 400 feet and within 1/4 of a
mile you summit Norkop Mtn at 850 feet. (I know, hills to y'all)   From there
it's beautiful ridgeline walking with spetcalur veiws. In the right conditions
I could even see the NYC skyline, over 50 miles away! After summiting Norkop
and walking along it's ridge, the NY Thruway and Rte 17 disappear and you'll
deep inside the woods. I stood as still and as queit as possible, and the wind
through the trees was the only sound present.
     Continuing along the SBM, I reached the Kitchen Stairs, a jumbled
formation of rocks giving a staircase appearence. Once to the top I was
treated with the a great veiw. I soon crossed a seasonal stream that was
swollen and running hard. It fell over rocks and filled deep cold pools. A bit
farther I crossed a gas right of way and could see for miles.
     The trail rose and fell, but seemingly only by a few feet in either
direction. By the time I reached the area known as the Valley Of The Dry
Bones, a dry area with quiet a few dead trees, I was at 1100 feet.
    Beyond the Valley was another swollen stream. It provided some pituresque
small waterfalls. I ate lunch on a rook overlooking the stream and read
Backpacker's 25 anniversary Issue (MAJOR PLUG! If you don;t have it BUY
IT!!!!)
After eating I explored the stream and found that a major source of the water
was a jumble of rocks. I stood on the rocks and was amazed to hear the
thunderous sound of the water underneath them.
    On the way back I spotted a hawk circleing overhead and it just confirmed
my resolve to get out as much as I possible can. As I crossed over the Gas
right of way, a company truck passed and the guys inside were the only two I
met on the trail. It seemed I had the whole park to myself for the day.
    Now I'm back here, yearning to be back there, I'll return soon, though.

Thank's for listeing....

Pitchfork