Re: [at-l] Cellular Telephones (dejavu)

In a message dated 4/11/98 11:07:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Snodrog5@aol.com
writes:

<< But, if I came upon a hiker with a burst appendix, I suppose I'd have to
 repsect his wishes and let him die if he objected to my having a cell phone
on
 the trail. After all, I would hate to spoil his 'wilderness experience'.
    TraderJohn >>

BRAVO!!!!!!!   Seriously, though--if carrying a cell phone(or anything else,
for that matter) makes one feel more secure, I don't see a problem with it.  I
carry one occasionally myself, I just don't intrude on others' privacy--I go
away from camp to use it.  These people who adamantly say that cell phones
absolutely have no place on the trail do not have the right to say
that--remember, hike your own hike.  In this day and age, it would seem
foolish to die within a half hour from civilization, when it could be avoided
by carrying an 8 ounce phone.  Remember--you don't HAVE to use it!  When I
carry mine, no one even knows that I have it!  But when I hike with my 54 year
old father, I feel better knowing that I may be able to get help if it is
needed.   And, oh, by the way--don't tell me that I should have knowledge of
first aid, instead of carrying a phone.  Everyone who goes outdoors should
have some training--I have both--I'm an EMT, but a phone certainly can't hurt!

whew......done ranting now

Tom