Re: [at-l] kelly knob

Michael Henderson wrote:

> ok, i'm reading a lot of journals, and most every one mentions the hell
> climb over kelly knob between tray mtn and dicks creek gap.  for the life
> of me, i cannot recall much of anything between there, much less a hell
> climb.  please, can someone tell me if the trail has been re-routed since
> 92, or was it such a terrible experience that i have permanently blocked it
> from memory?
>
> wishing i could see for myself...
>
> mike
> ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCTsoon
> mikeh@royalrobbins.com
Kelly knob was after Tray Mountain, and just before arriving at the Deep
Gap shelter.  I think its main problem is that it comes, for some, at
the end of the day. It was a good climb. I remember sitting in the
shelter (in '92) listening to everyone who came into the shetler saying,
"What an awful climb!" over and over again.  It made an impression. You
may not have stayed at Deep Gap (it was brand new that year - still had
roofing nails lieing all over the place).  I don't think it would make
as much of an impression in the middle of the day.

Ginny