Re: [at-l] Cellular Telephones

<<The moral of this story?

1.  Don't hike alone:  if Karl or I were by ourselves, our normal tendency
would be to continue.
2.  Pack a cell phone:  even if you're not registered with a cellular
telephone company, your phone still has the ability to dial 911 (Federal
law)
3.  Don't assume your problem is minor>>

For me, the moral of the story is different.  Since I am a confirmed solo
hiker who wouldn't EVER consider carrying a cell phone,  the moral is:  If you
seek adventure,  there are risks.  Maybe the risks heighten the meaningfulness
of the adventure and carrying a cell phone -- however prudent -- would make
the trip about as meaningful as the drive to the grocery store.  For every
anecdotal story about the possibilities of danger on the trail,  I can give
you a hundred for life off the trail.

I hope Karl recovers completely,  but I hope no one on this list agrees with
your conclusions about hiking alone or carrying a cell phone.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear