[at-l] Southern sulfur sock

Hello Solar Bear -

You said:

>Down here in Florida,  the old-timers recommend applying powdered sulfur to
>the target areas to prevent tick & chigger bites.  Have you heard of this and,
>if so,  is it effective?

We have used "flowers of sulfur" (drug store variety) to make a "sulfur
sock" for a LONG time.  Dump the bottle of sulfur powder into an old sock
and grab the sock by the top.  Whack anyplace that chiggers might be able
to get in to your meat (around top of socks, bottom of pants/shorts, bottom
of sleeve, etc.).  After a couple of whacks, the sulfur powder starts to
come out thru the weave of the sock, distributing it fairly evenly over
what ever you might have whacked.

A lot of southern summer outdoorsmen swear by the sulfur sock to keep
chiggers from bothering you (especially when you get into the blackberries
<g>).  I never noticed that it did any good for ticks....it DOES work for
penguins!

Trace No Leaves,

- Charlie