[at-l] ErwinTN

Hi Everyone,
We made it to Erwin TN yesterday April 9, We came down off No Business
Knob which overlooks the Nolichucky River and Erwin. What beautiful
views we had on the way into town. We are staying at the brand new hiker
Hostel in town, the Nolichucky Hikers Hostel, run by John Shores and
located right as you come out of the woods at the Nolichucky River. He
opened just 5 days ago and has done a great job in putting together a
first rate hostel for us weary hikers. He will also cater to the water
sports crowd along the river, which is great for rafting kayaking and
canoeing.  We have been having much better weather lately and have been
putting in much better milage days as we have gotten stonger and
Cheryl's knee is starting to improve. Although she did pick up a case of
poison ivy while at Mountain Mama's. She has been putting on Calomine
lotion on her feet for the past two days. She has had to walk the last
64 miles with her feet itching and building blisters from the poison
ivy. We will be taking a few days off here again to let her feet get a
little better. Today we are at the home of a person we met through the
AT Mailing list and will be eating well while in town. Yesterdays menu
was All You Can Eat at KFC. Cheryl and I and two other hikers really
made a dent at that buffet table. That was lunch, then dinner was at the
Erwin Burrito Co. for huge California style burritos and Quesadillas.
We are having a great time and are meeting lots of great people. We are
having much more fun than we thought it would be, but also the hiking
has been much more difficult that we thought it would be. It is getting
easier though as i said earlier because now we are getting in much
better shape. We have sent in our journal entries through Hot Springs
and they should be appearing soon.
To all who have sent email, we would like to say thank you. There have
been too many to reply to but we are reading them and enjoy hearing all
your words of encouragement. We are saving them all and will reread and
reply to them when possible and will surely reply when we finish this
little trek of ours.
Contraray to any rumors which might have circulated, we are still
plugging along and soaking up all the trail experiences we can.

Ron & Cheryl

     Solemates
Appalachian Trail '98
   Georgia to Maine
(slowly but surely)  :-)

Solemates Home Page:

Our Trail Journal - Available after March 1, 1998
http://trailplace.com/c98journals/225gaudreau/index.html

Other "Class of '98" Trail Journals:
http://trailplace.com/c98journals/anniversary.html