[at-l] Re: corn pasta, polenta

Mike said: i also carry cornmeal.  i usually add a handful of cornmeal to
every meal i make, to soak up extra water, and give an extra boost of
calories. sometimes i will make a rudimentary cornbread.

On my very first hike on the AT I got from Springer to Blue Mt Shelter.
At Blue Mt, I met a south-bounder named Bryan. He was an ultralite wallet
hiker. He told me that he had used gear, slept everynight on the Trail
and foraged every share box he found. Bryan told me he had only $650 to
do the whole AT

His specialty was cornbread which he made like a hoe cake. He added
different spices to alter the flavor but cornbread was his main stay. He
cooked up two pones in the morning, one for breakfast and one for lunch
and then one at night. He was one skinny dude but he only had about 50
miles left to go.

I was just starting as an AT hiker but my first 5 days on the Trail set a
fire to burning in me. I wondered how I could explain to anybody what I
was feeling. When I met Bryan and learned of the life he was living in
order to thru hike, I knew I was not alone.

When we started our supper, he offered to share his hoe cake and I was
happy to share my supper. Yes, yes I got yogi'ed, so what? He pulled out
an onion from his food bag that he had found at Tray Mountain and
displayed it like it was the Hope Diamond. I never saw anybody so proud
of an onion. Well, next morning (being my last of that trip) I offered
him all my extra food and the last of my white gas. Bryan seemed truly
appreciative and I believe he truly was.

Trail magic never goes unrewarded. At Unicio Gap I was waiting for my
wife to get me and I met two more south-bounders, they shared their
toilet paper with me. Bryan could yogi a fellow out of anything.  Hopeful