[at-l] ticks and boots in the summer

Hey all

I have two quick questions.  First off -- from my days back in the Boy
Scouts we were always told to wear pants when hiking and to tuck our pants
into our socks.  This is fine and all in the fall or winter, but i am
planning a section hike of VT, NH and part of Maine for mid July to mid
August.  Therefore, long pants would seem to be undesirable.  My question i
guess is how much of a problem are insect and tick bites?  What about Lyme
Disease?  What precautions really need to be taken?

My second question is about a boot type.  For hiking in the summer months
how insulated a boot do you want to have?  For everyday wear and hiking i
have a pair of Ecco boots.  they are rugged, comfortable, all leather
uppers, gortex liners, good support, waterproof, etc.  They seem like they
or a similar boot may be good in teh winter, but may just too much boot for
the summer.  Is that true?

Happy hiking to all of you who are heading out soon.  Maybe i will even run
into some of you northbounders on the trail.

Benjamin