[at-l] 4/8/97 journal

Thanks for all the positive posts re: my journal! I guess i'll keep 'em
coming. Hope you enjoy!

-Rambleon-
rambleon@email.unc.edu

4/8/97
Hiked to Gooch Gap today. Distance was around 8.5 miles. There were a lot
of ups and downs - many of them steep. Weather was once again beautiful!
Last night was somewhat cold in the shelter - it was on stilts so wind was
coming up the bottom at times. Morning was chilly and quickly rose to
beautiful spring temps. I was hot at times, like summer hot. Most hiking
was solo. Hiked a bit with the Zoo-man, who Heather and i met yesterday.
Very pleasurable man. I'm not staying in the shelter tonight - I'm staying
on the ridge below it. I'm tented with Golden Thumb, Will (no trail name
yet), and the Beach Bum, a crazy old guy who hiked the trail in '90. Beach
Bum has many stories to tell... he's quite funny. I'm tented near a little
creek. Easy water access and i get to sleep listening to one of my
favorite sounds. The hike has been pretty beautiful. Today's ridge running
provided several nice vistas. Little purple wild flowers, much like the
ones which started to sprout in the yard in Hillsborough before leaving,
have been lining virtually the whole trail. Other tiny flowers are
starting to peep through, and the green plants are starting to spring up.
The night will soon remind me of winter, and today while hiking i had some
cool thoughts on witnessing the battle being waged between winter and
spring, and the luck i possess in being caught up in the front lines. Like
my trail name indicates, i am truly sitting plush with a royal flush, aces
back to back. One more note: I HATE WRITING LONG-HAND. It is about 7:30
and soon i will be in my tent. I'll probably be asleep by 8:30 or 9:00.
Hopefully my sinuses won't stop up and keep me awake for 30 minutes like
they did last night. Well, time to stop writing. I hope The Senile Old Man
makes it to the shelter tonight. More on him tomorrow. Until then...
PEACE.