[at-l] Weekend Hike

Hi Gang!

	I just got cleaned up from this weekends hike. Friday night I parked on
the South side of 501 at the James River and walked North. I like
walking across the 501 bridge when there is not too much traffic. Car
campers were at the Johns Hollow Shelter and they had a fire stoked up
that looked like it was intended to last all weekend. I loaded up with
water and walked on another 1/2 hour to a nice bivi spot. This was the
first rainy night that I have tested my small (4oz)Tyvek (6' X 6') tarp.
The tarp is just big enough so I can leave my bivi comfortable open and
still have enough room to cook out of the rain. Magic markers in green,
brown and black have greatly dulled the bright white material.
	I finally got moving about 08:30 saturday morning. After walking 3
hours the rain stopped. Views were pretty skimpy today, mostly fog and
clouds. I arrived at Punch Bowl Shelter a little after 12:00. I met two
hikers taking a lunch break there and heading South (fish Hatchery Road
to Thunder Ridge). After lounging around a while at Punch Bowl I decided
to stay for they night.
	Later that evening I was joined by two more hikers that were doing 501
to Rock Fish Gap. I believe they were from Arkansas and South Carolina.
One of these fellows had forgotten his flashlight. Pay back time! I gave
him the little extra squeeze light I carried. Last year in MA I had no
light and a kind sole gave me a squeeze light :-)
	The 4 1/2 hour walk back to 501 was very scenic with Sundays sunny
skies lighting the way. Nice views of the James River Gorge. All in All
a nice restful weekend.

I hope you went backpacking too!!!

	Hey next weekend I have 4 days off. I would like to get in a good hike
before the AT turns into Turkeys hunting Turkeys. Yep hunting season is
about to start in two weekends. Be sure and get some Blaze Orange. It
sure would be nice to work out a good shuttle for that long weekend.

chase

--
Charles W. Davidson (WB4PAN)
Axton, Virginia