Re: [at-l] Gear list

Jim -
I have a couple minutes to play here so I'll add a few comments to what
Robert said -

Walk softly,
Jim

Jim Campbell wrote:

> Here is my current gear list.  I am still trying to pare it down.
> I expect to send some of the clothes home by mid-late May.
> Your suggestions and comments are welcomed
>
> Clothing/Personal Care:
> Ace Bandages
> Bandana

I used a linen triangular bandage as a bandanna.  It also
served as my pack towel, pot holder and anything else I
needed it to be.

> Ear Plugs (to give to complainers 8-)
> First Aid Kit
> Fleece Cap & balaclava
> Fleece Gloves
> Fleece Pants
> Fleece Shirt
> Long John's (wool)

I'd bet that polypro or capilene would be lighter.

> PackJac
> Shorts
> Liquid soap

I dumped the soap somewhere in NC.

> Sock Liners (3 pr)
> Sunblock

You'll probably dump this someplace too, but it's a
good idea to start with it. Watch out for sunburned ears.

> Supplex Pants(1 pr)

If you're taking these you won't need the rain pants.

> Towel
> TP and Laces

Put spare laces in your sendahead (drift) box.

> Wool Socks (3 pr)
> Rain pants
> Underwear
> Zamberlan hiking boots
>
> Cooking
> Alcohol - 22 oz.
> Bowls (2)

Why 2?

> Cups (2)

ditto

> Egg Carrier

Get your eggs in town - and leave them there.

> Fuel Bottle
> Lighters (2)
> Pot Scraper
> Salt & Pepper
> Spatula
> Stove
> Utencils

Dump the spatula and pot scraper - add 1 spoon and
a "small" knife and one quarter of a Scotchbrite pad.
The rest of the Scotchbrite pads get cut up and put
into maildrops. I started with salt and pepper, and
found they were just extra weight.

> Shelter
> Candle Lantern

Too heavy - I might carry one for a weekend, but not
for a thruhike.

> Emergency Light

ANYTHING (except the first aid kit) that's "spare",
"emergency" or any similar designation should be
either left at home or sent in your drift box.

> Princetontec Headlamp

There are lighter headlamps.  Unless you're gonna do a
lot of night hiking get something lighter.

> Coleman Peak1 Pack
> Wire Saw

Why?

> Sierra Wild Bill 15 degree Sleeping bag

Probably more sleeping bag than you'll need, but
only you can really know that - after you've used
it for a while.

> Tent - Orion CD

Heavy - at 5# 10 oz it's more tent than Ginny
and I carry for 2 of us. I carried a SD Flashlite
and then changed to a Eureka Cirrus II.  They no
longer make the Cirrus so we're looking for a 4#
replacement.

> Tyvek Ground cloth
> Straps (6)

Why 6?

> Therma Rest (3/4 length)
> Trowel
>
> Water
> PUR Hiker Water Filter
> Platypus Bladders and hydration tube with nipple

I used a 1 qt Nalgene, a 10 qt water bag (4 oz) and
a 1 pint Nalgene hung on my pack harness using a
minicarabiner. That was before the platypus era.

> Miscellaneous
> Journal
> Pencils (2)

Ball point pens are less trouble.

> Swiss Army knife
> Maps and trail guide for the section

I used maps - but some people like the guidebook
sections better.  You'l have to figure out your own
preference, but I don't think you'll need both.

> Databook

I found I liked having the entire data book with me.

> Thru-hiker's Handbook

But I put sections of the Handbook in my maildrops.

Basically, I agree with everything Robert said except
for the pack towel - my bandanna did that job, too -
but it was a BIG bandanna.