[at-l] trail work

What wonderful weather we in Vermont have been having.  It has been near 80F
for 5 days.  The snow is melting fast.  I went today to near Killington, VT -
Route 4 AT-LT crossover.  My plan was to hike into Maine Jct.  Collect some
rocks and head home.  The trail was in rough shape.  I decided to clear some
of the AT - LT and clean out the water bars while hiking to the Jct.  The 0.5
mile trip took 6 hours of clearing.  There are some large trees in the way
still.  This Bleeder doesn't run chain saws anymore.  Some day hikers went by
me off an on all day.  Their comments were amazing.  One asked what I was
doing and why.  I explained about giving back to the trail.  Her reply was.
You don't have to do that if your a Green Mountain Club Hiking Club member.
Its part of your membership that they will care for the trails.  I asked how
they did that.  She didn't know.  Btw she isn't renewing her membership
because trails are in poor shape.  Another poor soul asked if I could get the
trail dry before she came back down because she had just bought her new boots
and didn't want to get them dirty.  One guy asked who put all the trees and
branches on the trail.  He was serious.  I asked everyone who went by me if
they had ever helped in maintaining the trails.  What I heard the most was,
"No, why would I".  I never said any thing back to them.  It would of gone
over their heads anyway.  On the trip home the temp dropped from 80F to 45F.
I hope all of us on these lists will give some time to the trails this year.
I had a really good day today.

Take care.............

Beau Bushor N1MJD FN34jl
          "Bleeder Guy"