Re: [at-l] Two things

In a message dated 98-03-31 10:58:37 EST, DaRedhead@aol.com writes:

> Second, a question.  My friend (the one who went with me this past weekend)
>  got bit by the bug, despite her knee injury.  I saw the look in her eyes as
> we
>  were resting and she said "It's hard to believe this trail goes from
Georgia
>  to Maine".  So now she is thinking about a pack of her own.  Her son has an
>  internal frame, and she used an external frame on this hike.  I am sure
this
>  must have been covered many times - but could you give me some opinions on
>  internal versus external for her?  One of the guys at the outfitters in
>  Damascus said something to the effect that about 80 percent of thru hikers
> use
>  internal frames.  I thought that was kind of high?  Anyway, I am no help to
>  her, because I am throroughly prejudiced - I love my JanSport external
frame
>  and wouldn't carry an internal if you paid me :)  Set in my ways, I am <g>
>  So, any other opinions would be welcome, to help her in her decision.

My basic reaction is "who cares?"  People use both kind.  As long as the fit
is right and the capacity is right, who cares.

Everything I have read is that external is better for heavier loads and on
trails.  Internals is better for cross country or climbing.    There is a
better selction of internal frame packs, but that does not make them right or
better, just popular.

Like you, I use an old Jansport external frame, and it works fine for me.