Re: [at-l] Back from solo overnight!

Amy Friends wrote:

> Yeah!  It was wonderful!

cool!

> My goodness!  I've seen such bad trail conditions!!  Blowdowns were
> *everywhere*, and I was awfully glad to be wearing my new White Cloud
> (internal, so it's narrower than I'm used to), which made the crawling
> and climbing and wriggling around a bit easier.  There were a couple of
> points where I had to throw my pack over, though, and retrieve it after
> I'd gotten through.  If that is what the closed part of the park still
> looks like, boy do we need to get out there with the trail maintenance
> crews!

this trail was in pretty bad condition imho before the ice damage. last
year's hurricane left alot of trail erosion and a few blowdowns that
were probably just intensified by the recent ice and snow.

> Anyway, I spent the night off that trail, and I will have to say it was
> not my most comfortable camping night -- I could find flat ground, yes,
> with some difficulty, but no where to be seen was there level ground!  I
> slept at about a 40-degree angle, and woke up every time my feet hit the
> bottom of the tent, to push myself back to the top! :)

hehe. this happens to me even on "level" ground. ;)

> I took the AT up to the spur trail leading to Marys Rock.  I'd been
> there before, but it had been a very hazy day -- today it was clear and
> the views were spectacular!  360-degree view, absolutely gorgeous
> weather (just a bit of breeze from being atop the mountain), and no-one
> in sight!  Unfortunately, I had not brought my camera, else I'd have
> some great shots (not even I could mess up a photo of a view like that)
> for y'all.

sounds gorgeous. i need to get out there soon! :)

--
 coming soon: http://gwis2.circ.gwu.edu/~raven