Re: [at-l] Fontana Dam to Springer Mt.

>...In 1997 both my sons got on the trail with me at Cosby Knob and I
>finished the Smokies leaving again at Fontana  Dam.

Please mind the language.

>Where would be a good place for my son to leave his car?  Right now I'm
>thinking either Unicoi Gap or Winding Stair Gap.

Or the Standing Indian State Park, and join you at Bear Gap. I suspect more
traffic and safety in numbers.

>I can't tell you how crushed I was to leave a son on the trail...

>My concern now is that I'm going to feel nothing when I get to Springer.
>I watched my son and friends he'd made celebrate at the end and I had
>planned on being part of that celebration.  I was there but I was a
>clean shaven intruder with a day pack....

Shame on you for reducing how important you were to your son, and how important
your trail is. You were not an intruder but a father. You and your sons have
experiences and times that others can only dream of. Get on the trail, enjoy
the hike that you complete, and experience Springer in a way that few can hope
to.

Be careful. North Georgia trails are deceptively tough.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA