Re: [at-l] Achilles Tendon problem - suggestions?

A.  Tontodonato (ATontodo@doubled.com) wrote about Achilles tendon
problems:

> Our MD A.T. hike a few weeks ago left a red circle a few inches above my
> left heel. I don't know if my boot bruised it or what. My achilles hurt
> toward the end of the trip. I went running Thursday and my left achilles
> ached at about the 3 mile mark. The red mark is gone. I don't know if I
> injured something.

The following is information from my book "Fixing Your Feet."

The Achilles tendon is actually a cord which runs from the calf muscle
downward to the back of the heel. The tendon makes it possible for you to
rise up on your toes, run, and jump. Achilles tendinitis occurs when the
sheath surrounding this cord becomes inflamed. Sudden and repeated
stretching of the tendon can cause an inflammation which can produce pain
behind the heel, ankle, and lower calf while walking and running. The pain
may be felt during the early part of your run or hike, then subside, only
to worsen after stopping.
	A sudden increase in your mileage or running steep hills can lead to an
inflamed Achilles tendon. Increase your mileage gradually or cut down on
your hill training.
	Treatment may include any or all of the following: icing, stretching and
flexibility exercises, wearing flexible shoes or boots with a well-padded
heel counter, and avoiding the ups and downs of hills. A small heel pad
will alleviate the stresses on the tendon. For some individuals, wearing
low-heeled shoes as often as possible will help keep the Achilles tendon
stretched. An Achilles notch in shoes or mid- and low-top boots will
accommodate the Achilles tendon in plantar flexion. If the injury has just
happened, use ice packs for the first 48 hours after the injury three to
four times a day or until the pain subsides. Thereafter use warm soaks.
Stop running — do not run through the pain. Ignoring the symptoms may cause
the tendon to rupture, which usually requires surgery. Call your
orthopedist or podiatrist if the pain persists. The Achilles Tendon Strap
made by Cho-Pat or the Achilles Strap from fabrifoam can provide relief
from the discomfort of Achilles tendinitis.
	Hapad Heel Pads	Hapad makes the 3/4-Length Heel Wedges which provides
necessary heel lift to help reduce the pain associated with Achilles
tendinitis. It is available in three thicknesses. The coiled, spring-like
wool fibers provide firm and resilient       support as they mold and shape
to the foot. For more information contact Hapad, Inc. 800-544-2723
	Achilles Strap by fabrifoam	A new Achilles strap will be released by
fabrifoam shortly. For more information contact fabrifoam Products.
800-577-1077
	Achilles Tendon Strap		Cho-Pat makes this Achilles tendon strap which fits
under the arch and around the ankle to relieve pressure on the Achilles
tendon. Trials at the Mayo’s Sports/Medicine Clinic have shown the strap
effective as an addition to traditional treatment procedures for Achilles
tendinitis. The strap is available in four sizes based on ankle
circumference at its widest point. It is available by mail order from
Cho-Pat, Inc. 800-221-1601

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Author:  FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers.
http://www.footworkpub.com (check out the book here)
Race Director:  Ohlone Wilderness 50KM Trail Run