Re: [at-l] Anybody been hiking lately?

clakin wrote:

> >On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, DaRedhead wrote:
> >
> >> In a message dated 3/25/98, 6:47:40 PM, tvanveen@accmail.umd.edu writes:
> >> <<Blah, blah, blah, blah....
> >> Anybody been hiking lately?

I went on a little training hike today.  50lb pack (containing 22 pounds of lead
right now 8-).

I hike up the Harding Truck trail here in the Santa Ana mountains.  I just wanted to
reassure myself that I could really make it to the top of Springer after reading how
some people have struggled.  This hike was 10 miles RT with a vertical of 2300
feet.  I made it and feel pretty good.  I could even walk a bit further if I needed
to.

Enough with the stats, though, here are some things I found interesting on this
hike.

The rangers have posted "trail closed" notices on all the major trails around here
because of the number of slides, washouts and generally unstable terrain caused by
our friend El Nino.  Fortunately this appears to be just a legal maneuver to reduce
their liability because I was told that they do not arrest or fine people who ignore
the notice.

In the first half mile the trail was very muddy because they have had an earthmover
in to repair some of the damage.  After that it was pretty good.  There were a lot
of slides and washouts though.  It was partly cloudy and cool when I started.  When
I reached the apex of my climb it was decidedly cold and rained intermittently.  I
guess I was high enough that the mountain was ringing some of the moisture out of
the clouds.  The best part was that I did not see anyone else on the trail today.  I
t was a nice, quiet day and I especially did not miss the mountain bikers.  ;-)

As is often the case with me I spent a part of the hike in the clouds.  There is
this moment, when coming down the mountain when I walked out of the clouds and could
suddenly see sunlight on the lowlands in the distance.  I was such a surprising and
delightful sight it made me laugh with joy.

Take care,
Cloudwalker