[at-l] A Different View of a thru-hike

Hi All,

Usually I am a lurker here on the AT-L, but I thought I would convey the
new way I am experiencing the Trail this year.

But first some background: A few weekends ago (6 to be exact), I had
Springer Fever REAL BAD, so I decided to go backpacking on the Black Creek
Trail (the only reasonable backpacking trail near were I live in
Mississippi). Well to make a long story short, the only other backpacker I
met that weekend had an AT patch on his hat and when I inquired about it he
said "I am training for an AT thru-hike". (what are the chances of that I
wonder?)

From that point Larry Simms (no trail name as of yet) and I have become
close friends. It is interesting to see someone go through the preparation
and all the fears, hopes, dreams, dilemmas, big decisions, little decisions
ect ect ect. It brought back so much from my preparations I cannot even
begin to state them here. I am sure we have all had the "You are going to
hike HOW FAR?!?", "Your going to go alone", the moments when we catch
ourselves weighing two things to see which one weighs one ounce less, and
of course the people asking "ARE YOU NUTS?" Ahhhhhh the memories!

I hope the advice I gave Larry (and in a way everyone here on the AT-L
since I used a lot of the info posted here) helps Larry along the way and I
look forward to helping him all the way to Maine (I am acting as his mail
drop person). I guess it is time for me to repay some of the help I got
along my trip.

In a way it is very therapeutic, if you cant do the trip yourself, at least
you are helping someone to fulfill their dream.

Dan "High Tech" Kohn
GA -> VA '96
VA -> ME '??